F, b. 5 August 1886
Mary Josephine Dorsey
F, b. 1848, d. 11 November 1936
- Married Name: Her married name was Devine.
- Marriage*: She married Daniel Devine.
- Marriage*: She married John C. English.
- Birth*: Mary was born at Ireland in 1848.1
- Death*: Mary died on 11 November 1936 at 1018 Ridge Court, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA. The Evanston Review, November 19, 1936
Mrs. Mary Josephine Devine, a resident of Evanston for over 80 years, died Wednesday morning of last week at the home of her son, Joseph P. English, 1018 Ridge court. Her home for many years had been at 1513 Greenwood street, but after she became ill three months ago she was moved to the English home.
Mrs. Devine, who was 88 years of age, was born in Ireland and came to Chicago with her parents as a very young child. Their home at that time was in downtown Chicago in what is now the Loop. After a few years her family moved to Evanston. Mrs. Devine and her first husband, Mr. English, who died many years ago, were pioneers in St. Mary's church and did much to assist in the building of the church.
Surving are two daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Fiesel of Evanston and Mrs. Catherine White of Spokane; for sons, Joseph P. English and Lawrence S. English of Evanston, Hugh W. English of Spokane; and James L. English of Waukegan, and a step-son, Charles Devine of Evanston. Another son, John T. English of Evanston, died about a year ago.
Requiem high mass was sung Friday morning at St. Mary's church, with Father Francis J. Magner officiating. Burial was in Calvary cemetery..
- Burial*: Her body was interred on 13 November 1936 at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, at Calvary Cemetery. Grave card purchased by Elizabeth McAllister, January 5, 1882.
Lot 28, BL 7, Sect. K.
Family 1: Daniel Devine b. 1838, d. Oct 1929
Family 2: John C. English b. 1831
- [S303] The Evanston Review, November 19, 1936.
M, b. 8 September 1896, d. 1960
- Birth*: Gordon William Dougherty was born on 8 September 1896.4
- Marriage*: He married Helen Vopicka, daughter of Charles Joseph Vopicka and Victoria Antoinette Kubin, on 22 April 1922 at St. Wenceslaus Church, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA.1,3
- Death*: Gordon William Dougherty died in 1960.4
- Burial*: He was buried at St. Mary's Cemetery, Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan, USA.3
Family: Helen Vopicka b. 31 May 1899, d. 9 Mar 1971
- [S2217] Chicago Tribune, March 6, 1966, page b9, ProQuest, Accessed August 26, 2015.
- [S2209] Chicago Tribune, September 6, 1935, page 14, ProQuest, accessed August 25, 2015.
- [S2228] Joseph R. Sullivan, "Vopicka-Kubin Family Group Sheet."
- [S1676] Find A Grave, online http://findagrave.com, Gordon William Dougherty, created by Keith Larzelere, record added August 12, 2013, memorial #115341386. Accessed September 7, 2015.
M, b. 29 October 1927, d. 10 July 2005
- Birth*: Donald John Douglas (Drozky) was born on 29 October 1927 at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA.1
- Milt-WWII*: He was in the Army during WWII.2
- Death*: He died on 10 July 2005 at Cook County, Illinois, USA, at age 77.
Chicago Sun-Times (IL) - July 12, 2005
Douglas, Donald J. ( Drozky ) Army Veteran WWII, beloved son of the late Constant and Charlotte (nee Yucius) Drozky , loving brother of Constance
(the late Richard Sr.) Josepher, dear uncle of Richard John (Pat) Josepher, fond great uncle of Richard James (Lynn) Josepher and Danielle (Scott) Pflanz,
great-great uncle of Rachael and Julia Josepher and Abigale Pflanz. Funeral
Thursday, 9:15 a.m. from Thompson & Kuenster Funeral Home, 5570 W. 95th St.,
to St. Clare of Montefalco Church for 10 a.m. Mass. Interment St. Mary. Visitation 3
to 9 p.m. Wednesday. 708-425-0500.1
- Burial*: He was buried on 14 July 2005 at St. Mary's Cemetery, Evergreen Park, Cook County, Illinois, USA.1
F, d. before 26 December 1915
- Married Name: Her married name was Dwan.1
- Marriage*: Catherine Doyle married Michael Dwan.1
- Funeral*: Catherine Doyle received the blessing of the church at the funeral on 28 December 1915 at St. Mary's Church, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA.1
- Death*: She died before 26 December 1915 at 1227 Leon Street, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA; 1915-12-27
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Edition: Chicago Tribune
Catherine Dwan, nee Doyle, beloved wife of Michael, devoted mother of Annie E., John J., William F., Mary L., and Catherine H., sister of Mrs. James C. Connor. Funeral Tuesday, Dec. 28, at 9:30 a.m., from late residence, 1227 Leon-st., Evanston, to St. Mary's church, where solemn requiem mass will be celebrated, thence by carriages to Calvary cemetery.
Copyright 1915, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.
Record Number: 19151227dn022.1
- Burial: She was buried on 28 December 1915 at Calvary Cemetery, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA.1
- [S418] Chicago Tribune, online, Record Number: 19151227dn022.
F, b. 1 February 1855, d. 8 July 1934
- Birth*: Hannah was born at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 1 February 1855.1,2,3
- Married Name: As of 5 April 1875,her married name was Connor.4,5
- Marriage*: She married James Charles Connor at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 5 April 1875.4,5,6
- Biography*: Lived in Evanston, IL in 1880 per census. Lived at 1220 Maple, Evanston in 1900, 1910 & 1920 per census.
- Residence: Hannah Doyle lived on 17 June 1880 at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois.7
- Residence*: She resided at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, in 1929, at 1220 Maple Avenue. 1929 Evanston City Directory. Lists her as the widow of J. C..
- Biography*: Off to Florida for Winter
Evanston News Index, Tuesday, February 11, 1930, pg. 6
Mrs. James C. Connor and her daughter, Miss Mary Connor, left Sunday to spend the remainder of the Winter in Florida. They will visit various Winter resorts, among them St. Augustine, Daytona, and West Palm Beach.
- Residence: She lived in 1934 at Evanston, Illinois, USA.3
- Name Variation: As of 8 July 1934, Hannah Doyle was also known as Conner.3
- Death*: Hannah died on 8 July 1934 at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, at age 79.
Chicago Daily News, July 9, 1934
Connor - Hannah Connor, Beloved wife of the late James C., mother of Charles J., William T., Mary L., Elizabeth, Clara, and Mrs. Cecilia Reiss. Funeral fron her late residence 1220 Maple Av. Evanston, IL, Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. to St. Mary's Church, Interment Calvery. P.23
The Evanston Review, July 12, 1934
Mrs. Hannah Doyle Connor, member of one of Evanston's oldest pioneer families, died Sunday at her home, 1220 Maple Avenue where she had lived for more than 40 years. She was 79 years old and had lived in Evanston 78 years. She was born in Chicago, Feb. 1, 1855.
Mrs. Connor was the widow of James C. Connor, one of Evanston's pioneer builders. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Doyle, were also pioneer residents of Evanston. Among the many bulidings which her husband erected in Evanston was St. Mary's church. He served as village trustee of Evanston in 1876, and was the founder of the Connor hardware store, which was first established at 618 Davis street. Thomas J. Connor, who now operates the store at 624 Grove street, is a nephew of Mrs. Connor.
The first of the Connor family to arrive in Evanston from Timmon in County Wexford, Ireland, was the father of Mrs. Connor's husband, whose name also was James Connor. He arrived here in 1855 one year after the village was platted.
Mrs. Connor is survived by 6 children, Charles J., William T., Mary L., Elizabeth, and Clara Connor, and Mrs. Cecilia Reiss of Sheboygan, Wis. She is also survived by five grandchildren. Mrs. Connor was one of the oldest members of St. Mary's parish.
Funeral services were held Tuesday morning at St. Mary's church. Burial was in Calvary cemetery.3,8,2
- Burial*: Her body was interred on 10 July 1934 at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, at Calvary Cemetery. Lot 4, Bk 10, Sect. Y.8,3
Family: James Charles Connor b. 6 Apr 1846, d. 25 Nov 1890
- Charles Joseph Connor b. 4 May 1876, d. 9 Oct 1943
- William Thomas Connor b. 5 Nov 1877, d. 15 Aug 1958
- Mary Lucy Connor b. 19 Sep 1879, d. 23 Nov 1963
- Anna "Elizabeth" Connor b. 6 Feb 1882, d. 16 Apr 1966
- Clara (Catherine) A. Connor b. 26 Dec 1883, d. 28 May 1964
- Lucy Agnes Connor b. 25 Feb 1886, d. 17 May 1891
- Cecilia M. Connor+ b. 27 Jul 1888, d. 26 Jun 1944
- [S128] Hannah Doyle, Death Notice.
- [S1680] James and Anastasia Connor Family Bible.
- [S1976] Hannah Connor, Illinois Certificate of Death, Family History Library, MF# 1711833, accessed January 14, 2015.
- [S90] Alfred T. Andreas, History of Cook County, Illinois.
- [S119] James C. Connor/Hannah Doyle, Marriage.
- [S1680] James and Anastasia Connor Family Bible, The entry was written by his sister Mary in the Bible in 1877.
- [S516] 1880 US Census, Illinois, Cook County, Evanston, Washington, DC, ED 218, pg. 52, line 31.
- [S110] Chicago Daily News, July 9, 1934, Page 23.
James Grover Doyle1
M, b. circa 1873, d. 9 October 1928
M, b. 1849, d. 24 December 1881
- Marriage*: Thomas Joseph Doyle married Mildred Vopicka, daughter of Charles Joseph Vopicka and Victoria Antoinette Kubin, on 1 March 1919.1,3