Julia A. Devine
F, b. 1875, d. 27 February 1940
- Birth*: Julia was born in 1875.
- Married Name: As of 19 February 1901,her married name was Connor.2
- Marriage*: She married John L. Connor at St. Mary's Church, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 19 February 1901. Witnesses were James Mc Cann and Mrs. E. Lyons. There was a note that the "dispensaton" was "offical." I believe that John L. Connor married the sister of his first wife..2
- Residence*: She resided at Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA, on 23 April 1910. 1910 U. S. Census.
- Residence: She resided at Beverly Hills City, Los Angeles County, California, USA, on 20 January 1931, at 121 N. Swall Drive. See death notice of John L. Connor..
- Death*: Julia died on 27 February 1940 at Los Angelos, California. Estimated from death notice with burial date of March 1, 1940.
Connor -- Mrs. Julia A Connor, beloved mother of Margaret M. Connor and Mrs. Harold La Von; grandmother of Rosemary, Virginia and Kathleen Connor; sister of Rev. T. J. Devine, C.M.
Rosary this evening, 8 o'clock at the chapel of Wallace E. White & Howard J. Callahan. Requiem mass Friday, 10 a.m., at the Cathedral Chapel. Please omit flowers.
Los Angeles Times, February 29, 1940, page 9..3
- Funeral: She received the blessing of the church at the funeral on 1 March 1940 at Cathedral Chapel, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA.3
- Burial*: Her body was interred on 1 March 1940 at Los Angelos, California. Connor, Mrs. Julia A. Connor
Requiem mass today, 10 a.m., at the Cathedral Chapel. Wallace E. White and Howard J. Callanan, directors.
Los Angelos Times, March 1, 1940, part 1, page 19.4,3
Family: John L. Connor b. Jul 1860, d. 21 Jan 1931
- [S399] Devine, Charles - Heirship Report Doc 418; Page 107, No. 43 P 72.
- [S257] Connor/J. Devine, Marriage record.
- [S1360] Los Angeles Times, February 29, 1940, page 9, ProQuest Historical Newspapers, Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File), accessed February 2011.
- [S291] Los Angeles Times, March 1, 1940, part 1, page 19.
F, d. after 1 April 1948
- Married Name: Her married name was Zimmerman.1
- Marriage*: Mae Devine married F. A. Zimmerman.1
- Residence*: Mae Devine lived in 1948 at Land Co., P.O. Box 3288, Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA.2
- Death*: She died after 1 April 1948.1
Family: F. A. Zimmerman d. a 1 Apr 1942
- Residence*: Margaret Devine lived in 1948 at 6239 Western Ave, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA.2
F, d. after 1942
- Married Name: Her married name was Gullickson.1
- Marriage*: Marie Devine married Daniel Gullickson.1
- Death*: Marie Devine died after 1942.1
- Residence*: She lived in 1948 at 6239 Western Ave, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA.2
Family: Daniel Gullickson d. a 1942
F, b. 1867, d. 3 May 1897
- Biography: The St. Mary's Church Jubilee Book indicates that he was a member of the choir, and that he married the church organist, Rose Devine. Source is Dan Schattnik's family history.
- Birth*: Rose was born in 1867. On St. Mary's Church death record is stated Rose Connor's age as 30..2,3
- Married Name: As of 17 May 1887,her married name was Connor.4
- Marriage*: She married John L. Connor at St. Mary's Church, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 17 May 1887. Witnesses were Edward F. Connors and Anna M. Mally (sic)..4
- Death*: Rose died on 3 May 1897 at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA.2,5,3
Family: John L. Connor b. Jul 1860, d. 21 Jan 1931
M, b. 28 October 1877, d. 14 August 1946
- Biography*: In the Devine file there is a copy of a letter written by Thomas Devine, August 13, 1906, Los Angeles, Ca. It is written to the new President of Kenrick Seminary.
On the summary sheet written up on Thomas Devine by the Vincentian community it states that his mother's name is Mary Maguire who was already deceased when the document was written. The document is not dated.
- Birth*: Thomas was born at Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 28 October 1877. Vincentian Archives - Files on Thomas Devine lists information on him and his activities while in the Vincentian order..
- Baptism: He was baptized at St. Mary's Church, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, USA, on 12 November 1877. Religion: Roman Catholic. St. Mary's Baptismal Register, page 5. Godparents: Thomas E. Connors and Mary E. Connors..
- Rcpriestor*: He was ordained a priest at St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, USA, on 21 December 1901. Vincentian Archives
He states that both his parents were dead when he entered the priesthood. He listed Daniel Devine, Hilo, Hawaii and Mrs. Dorothy La Vou, Venice (sp?) California as relatives to be informed in case of serious illness..
- Residence*: He resided at St. Louis, Missouri, USA, on 10 October 1929.1
- Death*: Thomas died on 14 August 1946 at 241 So. Detroit Avenue, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA, at age 68. Vincentian Archives source. Papers say he is buried in community plot in Los Angeles.
The De Andrien, October 17, 1946, page 4.
After a brief illness, Father Thomas Devine, C.M., died on August 14, 1946, at the age of sixty-nine years. Ordained in 1901, he had been a classmate of Father Roberts. Father had been stationed at St. Louis Preparatory Seminary, but was vacationing in Los Angeles when illness overtook him.
Unidentified St. Louis newspaper obit, August 14, 1946
The Rev. Thomas Devine Seminary Teacher, Dies
The Rev. Thomas Devine, C.M., professor of English literature at the St. Louis preparatory Seminary, was found dead in bed yesterday at the Los Angeles Junior Seminary, where he had been visiting. He was 69 years old and had been a member of the Vincentian teaching order since he entered St. Mary's Seminary at Perryville, Mo., in 1895.
Father Devine taught for more than 15 years in Los Angeles. He was a faculty member of Kenrick Seminary here in 1916 and 1917 and had occupied his post at the St. Louis Preparatory Seminary for the past five year(sic). Funeral services will be held in Los Angeles with burial there.
Death Certificate Info transcribed by Nancy Post:
Rev. Thomas J. Devine; Born October 28, 1877, Evanston, IL; Died August 13, 1946 at 241 S. Detroit Ave., Los Angeles; In Los Angeles Community and California 10 days; Usual residence: 7300 Weil Ave., St. Louis, MO; Father Daniel Devine - born unknown; Mother: Mary Maguire - born unknown; No Social Security #, not a veteran; Informant: Rev. Robert T. Brown, C. M., 241 So. Detroit Ave; Cause of Death: coronary artery sclerosis: Coroner investigation states: checked the remains of the deceased and find from such action that deceased came to his death on the date and hour stated. Funeral Director: Cunningham & O'Connor 850 W. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles; Burial: August 16, 1946 at Calvary Cemetery (L.A.)
Devine, Rev. Thomas J., C.M., uncle of Mrs. Margaret Connor Scott, Rosemary & Virginia Connor & Mrs. Kathleen Connor McCarthy of Los Angeles. Office of the Dead will be recited this evening, 8:15 o'clock at St. Vincent's Church. Requiem Mass Fri. 9 a.m., at St. Vincent's Church. Interment Calvary. Cunningham & O'Connor directors.
Los Angeles Times, August 15, 1946, page 12..2,3
- Funeral: He received the blessing of the church at the funeral on 16 August 1946 at St. Vincent Church, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA.3
- Burial*: He was buried on 16 August 1946 at Calvary Cemetery, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA.2
- Father: Unknown Devine
- Married Name: Her married name was McKeever.
- Marriage*: She married Unknown McKeever.
- Residence*: She resided at Lambertville, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, USA, on 10 October 1929.1
Family: Unknown McKeever
- [S227] Evanston Review, October 10, 1929.